search our site


I am new to the UK

freelancesupermarket.com - showcasing freelance services

There are a few ways in which you are able to work within the UK if you are a foreign national.

One way of working in the UK as a foreign national is under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) where you are able to stay working within the UK for a longer period of time than on a standard working visa.

When you have arranged your working VISA you will also need a National Insurance (NI) number which you can apply for at the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).  This is a personal number that is used to record your NICs.  For more information on applying for a NI number visit http://www.dwp.gov.uk/.

Whether you decide to work through an Umbrella Company or PAYE at your agency or client, you will be required to have a UK bank account so that payments can be electronically transferred into that account.

If this is your first time working in the UK as a foreign national you will need to contact the HMRC and complete a form P86. This form will help them decide your residence treatment for income and capital gains tax purposes, and give you the correct level of tax allowances.

A good first port of call for any foreign national wanting to work in the UK would be to visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/

We'd love you to stay in touch - why not subscribe to our updates?

To subscribe to our weekly newsletter, simply include your name and email address below. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

freelancesupermarket.com services

showcasing freelance services


set flsm to your home page

add flsm to your favorites