search our site


What Taxes do I pay working through the Umbrella Company?

freelancesupermarket.com - showcasing freelance services

Working through an Umbrella company does not mean you pay less tax than non-contractors. You are still liable to pay National Insurance and PAYE income tax. On top of this, as a contractor working under and umbrella company, you are also liable to pay your employers National Insurance. As a contractor, your rate of pay should reflect this contribution and should therefore be higher than if you were a non-contractor.

Employer’s national insurance is currently 12.8% (08/09 tax year) of all earnings over £105 per week. This is a cost the contactor is expected to meet however, this cost is mitigated by the increased rate that the agency will pay you for working through an Umbrella Company.



We'd love you to stay in touch - why not subscribe to our updates?

To subscribe to our weekly newsletter, simply include your name and email address below. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

freelancesupermarket.com services

showcasing freelance services


set flsm to your home page

add flsm to your favorites