search our site


What happens if I stay more than 24 months in the same contract?

freelancesupermarket.com - showcasing freelance services

Travel and subsistence expenses cannot be claimed if you have worked, or when you know you will work more than two years at one particular location. It is at this point that the work place is deemed to be permanent and not temporary.

Additionally, moving to another Umbrella Company after 24 months does not change this situation, as the rule applies to your 'place of work' not the Umbrella Company you use.

The 24 month rule states that the cost of travel from your home (being your permanent place of residence) to your contract client address (your temporary workplace) is only allowable as a tax deductible expense for as long as you believe your contract will not exceed 24 months. 

At the point where you know your contract will be longer than 24 months (for example if your contract is extended at 20 months for a further six months) then you should not claim travel expenses from the 20 month point, as your deemed a permanent employee in the eyes of the revenue.

Further reading

What's so special about 24 months?

We'd love you to stay in touch - why not subscribe to our updates?

To subscribe to our weekly newsletter, simply include your name and email address below. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

freelancesupermarket.com services

showcasing freelance services


set flsm to your home page

add flsm to your favorites